On November 12, 1916, 22 Methodists met at Trinity Baptist Church and decided to build a church in East Arlington. From that time until January, 1923, worship services were held at the Grand Army Hall, now the American Legion Hall. Sixty-four people were received into membership in December, 1916 and the church was given the name Calvary Methodist Episcopal Church.
In 1917, a lot was purchased at the comer of Mass. Ave. and Linwood St. and on November 29, 1920, the cornerstone of the new sanctuary was placed.
Calvary Church was designed by J.H. McNaughton and W. J. Perry and built in the colonial revival style in 1920. The belfry at the top of the tower was designed by Charles Bulfinch in 1809 and donated to the church in 1921 by A.G. Van Norstrand of Charlestown. The completion and dedication took place in 1923 and in 1925 the parsonage was built. A Parish House (Educational building) was attached by Arland Durand in 1953. The name of the Church was changed to Calvary United Methodist Church in 1968.
The Church was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983. The Church Sanctuary was remodeled in 1991.
Calvary Church and Arlington Heights Church merged in 1994 and the merged church was named Calvary Church, United Methodist.